Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Great Debate......

Rescently this topic was introduced in the Workshops Forum Moderated by Troy Rochfort at Artpapa.com Since this topic was a part of my previous article I decided to offer it for consideration. You can see the full thread here

This is my response to the age old debate regarding using alternate means of measurement vs free hand.


So first let me give a bit of history about how I came to be here. As some
of you know already I briefly attended AIP where all of these methods were
taught at one time or another in the Graphics Design classes. Graphing,
tracing and transfers were used to speed up the process. Tools of the trade to
be used accordingly. In commercial art... any business for that matter...
time is money.

Fast forward 25 years and I found myself offering to do simple sketches of
customers in a restaurant. Mind you, I had only done the occassional sketch
or pen and ink drawing for my own pleasure during those previous years.
I was quite rusty to say the least. My first drawings were done freehand
and not done well. The old adage...if you don't use it you lose it...in my
case was true. What to do...hmmm?

So recalling the tricks of the trade I had learned those many years ago I
tried graphing which requires some drawing skills...didn't turn out so well.
Then I tried tracing...one slip of the paper and everything becomes a mess.
My final resort enlarging the photograph and applying graphite to the back
of the computer printed image. Then applying the transfer directly to the
drawing surface.

After an attempt or two I learned to control the pressure used to apply
the transfer without ruining the drawing surface. I would then
proceed to a finished portrait. Transferring also allowed me to rearrange my
subjects as well as produce more work in less time. A blessing to a mother
of 4 growing daughters. The end result an accurate portrait with
recognizable likeness of the subject(s), and happy customers. Win / win situation.

On the other hand did I feel like a fraud...Yes, I did! I always explained my process
to anyone interested. I never presented my drawings as something they were not.
Could I bring life to them? Yes, in a way, but they were not mine from conception
to completion.

Did I consider these sketches and drawings to be fine art. For myself, no, I
considered them to be commercial art.

Do I still use these methods? Not unless I feel they are necessary. They are tooIs
available to the artist the same as a hammer and nails to a carpenter. I prefer
to draw free hand. It is challenging as well as expressive. I am very happy
with the results...most of the time.

Do I hold it against anyone else for using these methods? No, I do not!
In my honest opinion, freehand, gridding, tracing, and transfers are a
matter of choice. I'll finish up by saying... it is not the method that makes the art....
it is the Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment